Jan 5, 2016

An Adult Child's Job

©  | Dreamstime Stock Photos
Plant seeds of expectation in your mind; cultivate thoughts that anticipate achievement. Believe in yourself as being capable of overcoming all obstacles of weaknesses. --Norman Vincent Peale


Today's affirmation adapted from  the book One Foot in Front of the Other by Tian Dayton, Ph.D.

Life is a gift and I will not devalue it with negativity.

Is this you? 
"My only job today is to have faith, to stay positive and to put one foot in front of the other. When I slip into negativity, I head down a slippery slope. I make things important  that I could just as easily release and allow to move past me. I obsess, argue with myself, and convince myself that there is something wrong in my life that needs fixing, something wrong with my relationships that makes me dissatisfied with them, or something wrong with me that  I need to hide or run from. Just for today I am going to try to live the principles of the program in all my affairs, not just in some of them. I am going to live one day at a time and surrender my resistance to change and my need to control my Higher Power. I am going to live a a clean and wholesome life and I am going to love the life I have. I am grateful for the gift of one more day for recovery."

What does it mean to be negative? Are we taking for granted this new start our recovery has brought us? Are we looking the gift horse in the mouth, as the saying goes? Are we forgetting how much it hurt, how humbling it was to get to the place we are, where we can take one day at a time?

We are supposed to want what we have. And, if we desire more (did you know 'desire' means "of God?" I just learned that the other day. Random fact.)

Anyway, are we going to continue wanting the normalcy we've been guessing at our entire lives, or are we going to allow this transition to happen and ease into 'normal.'


"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul," Emily Dickinson famously quoted. 

Hope sings to us and reminds us that we are kept warm on even the coldest loneliest and  lost days.  
There is hope that faith exists an by having faith, we have an increased sense of hope. Faith borders on knowing. And, having been in the dark for most of our lives, I'd say that's a pretty good place to be. 
Do you find it hard to have  hope?  Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!