Feb 2, 2011

Book Review-Great informative book for ACoA's

"ACoA's are truly our own breed"  Book Review (orginally published October 29, 2008) but several people are finding  it to be useful, so I thought I'd share it with new readers and anyone that will be able to benefit.

This review is about: The Complete ACOA Sourcebook: Adult Children of Alcoholics at Home, at Work and in Love (Paperback)


Adult Children of Alcoholics are the same as we are at home, at work and in love.

We are a breed of our own with many stumbles along the road to reality. I often wondered why I could start so many projects and yet abandon them long before completion, and why I never understood what normal was, taking myself and life too seriously and struggling to find appropriate levels of intimacy in all of my relationships.

Author Janet Woititz leaves no stone unturned, no symptom or characteristic of an Adult Child unexamined.

 The book is divided into three parts based on its subtitle: How ACoA's function at home, at work and in love. Each part begins with a personal message from the author as if she takes the reader by the hand to offer validation and to lead us bravely through to the next section.

There is even a chapter called "So You Love an ACoA" for those of us whose partners still totally don't understand what we survived.

Regarding the ACoA at work, Woititz discusses our tendency towards workaholism, burnout and the subtle sabotage we may create in our jobs. A variety of professions are disected: medical student, priest, foreman, counselor, supervisor, caregiver or any employee according to how the profession relates to the ACoA, what we need to look out for and how what we've been through grants us the knowledge of how to succeed in our chosen professions. The tail end of the book even features valuable guidance for Employee Assistance programs.

This book is filled with several "Aha!" moments for me (especially Chapter 2 "What Happened to You as a Child?" and Chapter 3, "Breaking the Cycle.")

I recommend its timeless information to any adult who grew up with an alcoholic parent or any form of dysfunction. Comments?



A  you tube video I recently favorited and wanted to share:

5 comments:

  1. Agree its a good book, especially since its a three for one deal :P

    Hope you will review John Bradshaw: homecoming next ;)

    Merry Xmas ! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. Thought I'd stop by to see if you're still blogging. Hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kimberly, It's a pleasure to receive your message, and to still see new followers at this blog. I spend more of my time blogging for survivors of abuse, teaching them to thrive as my way of giving back.Coincidentally, surviving abuse was a result of my growing up an ACA. *That blog is purplesongprojectblog.wordpress. com or (blogspot.com)
    Also... I just followed you on twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,

    I'm an ACOA and I wanted to share the story of my life with other people. I've made a blogspot called
    "To hell and back... Back? But when?".

    I'm not looking for an attention. I'm looking for myself.
    Maybe my story will show some poeple that they're not alone, because it's so hard to live as an ACOA. Believe me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!